28 September 2022

2022 September - Colorado Springs Trip, Day Three

Today was quite wonderful. Left the little town of Mt Carmel about 8 a.m., drove north on my favorite road (US 89), then turned off and headed east to Bryce Canyon. Red Canyon, on the way, was gorgeous, as always; I stopped several places just to soak up the views. Then on to Bryce. I drove all the way to the south end of the park, 8900 feet, stopping at numerous overlooks. Didn't attempt any walks because of my sore foot, but got some big views.

Then continued north to Escalante and Boulder, loved the great views as always. Went by Calf Creek, where Lee and I camped a few years back, drove down the steep roads over the weird formations, got to Boulder with plans to visit a favorite restaurant there. Sadly, they were closed until 4 p.m., and I didn't want to delay. Picked up a hitch-hiker with big serious pack, he was from Czech Republic and was hiking all over the West. Had been on the John Muir trail and several wilderness areas in the Sierras, did four days on a trail in Grand Staircase, was a major hiking geek. Had been to Tajikistan (sp?) and Central Asia, hiked all over Europe and South America. Where does he work? At a hiking gear shop!

Continued on toward Capitol Reef, it was awesome as usual. Rain off and on all day. I didn't walk hardly at all, I think I abused my already compromised foot with the walk up the Narrows on Monday.

After Capitol Reef I turned north, drove through some pretty desolate desert where pretty much nothing grows. Something must be wrong with the ground--alkalai maybe? Nice drive, though. Hit Interstate 70 just west of Green River, then east. Rain, rainbows, fabulous mesas and buttes and all the rest, more rain, then clear, a perfect driving day. As I approached the Colorado border, there was a giant and very wide rainbow hanging over the border. Not an arc like most rainbows, just straight up and down and not too tall but very wide.

Kyle found me a hotel in Grand Junction, I got here just as the light was fading about 7:45. Nice motel, nothing special, had a drink and dinner nearby. Planning to continue on I70 east to Denver, then south to Colorado Springs. Google Maps says five hours, which means I'll take my time and hopefully make some stops or side trips. Plan to arrive CS late afternoon.

It was a very good day!

Here are some pictures of Red Canyon, with more following. Red Canyon is just off Hwy 89 at the Bryce turn-off.





Here are a few from Bryce National Park:






The drive from Bryce Canyon toward Capitol Reef is fabulous. You go through the towns of Escalante and Boulder, and across many miles of the Escalante Grand Staircase National Monument, and then over Boulder Mountain at 9200 feet with views to the north, east and south that seem to go on forever. 

While looking up pictures and related info, I came across a 2018 article from Fox News, of all places, listing the ten most beautiful highways in the world. Hwy 12 in Utah, which is the route I took, is listed as #2. So I'm not the only one who thinks it's fabulous!

Here are some samples.














And then comes Capitol Reef National Park:











No comments: